Terms and Conditions for the award and use of The Finnish Social Enterprise mark
The purpose of these Terms and Conditions is to promote the use of the Finnish Social Enterprise mark as a symbol of social enterprises. Social enterprises are engaged in responsible business activities and their primary objective is to contribute to social good. The purpose of the Finnish Social Enterprise mark is to help social enterprises to distinguish themselves from other businesses and demonstrate that the enterprise applies the Finnish Social Enterprise business model.
1. The Finnish Social Enterprise mark is a registered collective mark owned by the Association for Finnish Work. The following Terms and Conditions shall apply to the use of Finnish Social Enterprise mark.
2. The right to use Finnish Social Enterprise mark can be awarded upon application to a member organisation of the Association for Finnish Work, provided that the organisation complies with the requirements set forth in these Terms and Conditions.
The Finnish Social Enterprise Committee, which is nominated by the Executive Committee of the Association for Finnish Work and has the necessary expertise for the task, processes the applications for the right to use the mark, grants the right to use the mark and addresses disputes. The Committee shall have quorum if at least half of its members are present, including the Chairman.
3. The Finnish Social Enterprise Committee shall require that the applicant organisation comply with Finnish law and the code of good practice, such as collective agreements and orders issued by the authorities.
4. Based on the criteria described below, the company applying for Finnish Social Enterprise mark shall be subjected to a comprehensive assessment, emphasising the three primary criteria and observing how the company meets the secondary criteria. The company shall inform the Association for Finnish Work without delay if its activities change with regard to the criteria. A company applying for the mark shall also comply with the qualification criteria.
i. Main office in Finland
ii. Business ID
iii. Turnover for at least one financial period. If a company cannot provide evidence of turnover for a financial period, the Committee can award the mark case by case for one year, provided that the other criteria are met.
i. The primary purpose and objective of the social enterprise is to contribute to social good. The social enterprise is engaged in responsible business activities.
ii. Restricted distribution of profits. The social enterprise uses most of its profits to contribute to social good in accordance with its business idea, either by developing its own operations or donating the profits in accordance with its mission.
iii. Openness and transparency of business activities.
– Participation and influence of employees in the enterprise’s decision making, including employee ownership;
– Measuring of social effectiveness and the generated social impact;
– Employment of persons with a weak position in the labour market;
– Adoption of innovative service and operational models within the company’s field of work
The Finnish Social Enterprise Committee shall make further enquiries where necessary.
5. The Finnish Social Enterprise mark can only be used in the registered visual format.
The Association shall determine the relevant uses of the Yhteiskunnallinen yritys mark and maintain guidelines for the use of Finnish Social Enterprise.
6. The right to use Finnish Social Enterprise mark shall be valid for three full calendar years, provided that the company is a member of the Association for Finnish Work. The Finnish Social Enterprise Committee can at its discretion award the right to use the mark for a period shorter than three years. The Finnish Social Enterprise Committee can ask the mark’s user for further information on matters related to the use and award of the mark.
The company shall deliver the Association for Finnish Work an annual notification with a short declaration on the company’s compliance with the criteria.
The right to use Finnish Social Enterprise shall be renewed every three years. The Association for Finnish Work shall notify the licence holder of the expiry in advance.
7. The licence holder shall inform the Association for Finnish Work in advance of changes that affect the right to use the mark,
8. The Finnish Social Enterprise Committee shall cancel the right to use the mark if the applicant has given false information to the Association for Finnish Work or if the Finnish Social Enterprise Committee considers the applicant to have otherwise misled the Association.
The right to use the mark shall also be cancelled if Finnish Social Enterprise mark is used incorrectly or if the licence holder acts in breach of these Terms and Conditions or in breach of the spirit thereof.
9. All information related to the application shall be treated in confidence and kept secret, unless otherwise agreed.
Information on which companies have been awarded the right to use Finnish Social Enterprise mark shall remain public and the Association shall maintain a public register of such information.
10. An administration fee shall be charged for the right to use the mark in accordance with the grounds set out by the Association for Finnish Work.
11. The provisions of the Act on Collective Marks (5.12.1980/795, section 1(1)) on the association mark shall apply to Finnish Social Enterprise mark.
12. The Association for Finnish Work shall decide on the amendments to these Terms and Conditions.
28 February 2019