Terms and Conditions of the award and use of the Association for Finnish Work’s Key Flag Symbol mark of origin
The purpose of these Terms and Conditions is to promote the use the Key Flag Symbol mark as a reliable indicator of origin in the marketing of Finnish products and services, as well as in other marketing communications of Finnish companies. The objective of the Key Flag Symbol mark of origin is to provide information on the Finnish origin of a product or service and its contribution to Finnish work.
1. Key Flag Symbol is a registered collective mark owned by the Association for Finnish Work. The following Terms and Conditions shall apply to the use of Key Flag Symbol as a mark of origin.
2. The right to use Key Flag Symbol can be awarded upon application at the discretion of the Key Flag Symbol Committee to products, product groups, individually named products or combinations thereof owned by an organisation which is a member of the Association for Finnish Work and operates in Finland, provided that the products or services mentioned above are manufactured or produced in Finland and that they comply with the requirements set forth in these Terms and Conditions.
The Key Flag Symbol Committee, which is nominated by the Executive Committee of the Association for Finnish Work and has the necessary expertise for the task, processes the applications for the right to use Key Flag Symbol, grants the right to use Key Flag Symbol and addresses disputes. The Committee shall have quorum if at least half of its members are present, including the Chairman and/or the Vice-chairman.
3. The Key Flag Symbol Committee shall require that the applicant organisation comply with Finnish law and the code of good practice, such as orders issued by the authorities.
The right to use Key Flag Symbol can be awarded to products and product groups with minimum domestic content of 50 percent of the break-even cost.
Domestic content is determined by the break-even cost of products, which comprises the following costs:
● raw materials
● partly or semi-finished goods
● packing materials and supplies
● variable and fixed employee costs
● other direct costs
● marketing costs
● product development costs
● depreciation and interest
● other direct costs
The right to use Key Flag Symbol can be awarded to individual and named services or service combinations with minimum domestic content of 50 percent of the break-even cost.
Domestic content is determined by the break-even cost of services, which comprises the following variable costs:
● employee costs
● material purchased
● other service-related costs
The applicant shall also meet the following criteria:
● the company has significant domestic ownership and its management is located in Finland
● the company’s head office is located in Finland
The Committee shall also consider the following factors:
● origin of the service concept
● Finnish design and/or product development
● effect of the service on strengthening the position of domestic products and services
● image of the Finnish origin
6. The Key Flag Symbol mark can only be used in advertising and marketing products and services to which the mark has been awarded.
If a product or product group which is manufactured in Finland shares the same product name or trademark with a product or product group which is imported from abroad, Key Flag Symbol can only be used with the products manufactured in Finland.
7. The company can use Key Flag Symbol in its corporate image communications, such as image or brand advertising, when over 75 percent of the company’s turnover is generated by Key Flag Symbol products or services.
In corporate image communications, Key Flag Symbol shall clearly refer to the company’s name or brand and only to the products and services which have been awarded the right to use Avainlippu.
If the requirement for 75 percent of the turnover is not met, the company can apply for the right to use the mark by filing an informal application addressed to the Association for Finnish Work.
8. The Key Flag Symbol mark of origin can only be used in the registered visual format. The Association shall determine the relevant uses of the Key Flag Symbol mark and maintain guidelines for the use of Key Flag Symbol.
9. The right to use Key Flag Symbol shall be valid for three full calendar years, provided that the company is a member of the Association for Finnish Work. The Key Flag Symbol Committee can at its discretion award the right to use the mark for a period shorter than three years.
The right to use Key Flag Symbol shall be renewed every three years. The Association for Finnish Work shall notify the licence holder of the expiry in advance.
10. The licence holder shall inform the Association for Finnish Work in advance of changes that affect the right to use the mark, especially of any changes affecting the criteria referred to in sections 4, 5 and 7, in which case the Association for Finnish Work must reconsider the matter.
11. The Key Flag Symbol Committee shall cancel the right to use the mark if the applicant has given false information to the Association for Finnish Work or if the Key Flag Symbol Committee considers the applicant to have otherwise misled the Association.
The right to use the mark shall also be cancelled if Key Flag Symbol is used incorrectly, misleadingly or in violation of the code of practice, if the licence holder fails to comply with the obligations referred to in sections 3, 6 and 10 or if the member organisation acts in breach of these Terms and Conditions or in breach of the spirit thereof.
12. All information related to the application shall be treated in confidence and kept secret.
Information on which of the company’s products and services have been awarded the right to use Key Flag Symbol shall remain public and the Association shall maintain a public register of such information. Information on the application and award process shall also be public.
13. An administration fee shall be charged for the right to use the mark in accordance with the grounds set out by the Association for Finnish Work.
14. The provisions of the Act on Collective Marks (5.12.1980/795, section 1(1)) on the association mark shall apply to Key Flag Symbol.
15. The Association for Finnish Work shall decide on the amendments to these Terms and Conditions.
11 September 2013